Issues with dark circles under the eyes in a man? Read the article to discover the possible causes and solutions to eliminate them for good and regain your self-esteem.
For some years now, taking care of one’s physical appearance has ceased to be the exclusive realm of women. In fact, more and more men are also resorting to beauty treatments to correct blemishes.
Among them, there are certainly dark circles under the eyes, a blemish that can affect individuals of all ages, giving them a fatigued appearance and changing the perception of the overall image to the detriment of one’s self-esteem.
In this article, we explore what causes dark circles under the eyes in men, from genetic predisposition to environmental and lifestyle factors.
We will find out how the different skin type in men can affect dark circles under the eyes and how to tackle this problem with effective solutions to achieve a fresher, more vital and seductive look.
In particular, we will review the following:
Before delving into the subject of dark circles under the eyes in a man, it must be said that although this blemish affects both men and women, there are gender differences.
In fact, the bone structure of the face is different: men tend to have more angular features and this difference can affect the perception of bags and dark circles under the eyes.
In addition, men’s skin is generally thicker than women’s and can rely on higher levels of collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin. This is one of the reasons why it is usually a more common problem in women.
Some of the main causes for dark circles under the eyes in a man are:
- Genetic predisposition
- Physiological ageing process: over the years, the skin under the eyes may thin and lose elasticity, making the blood vessels more visible
- Poor lifestyle: smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, a diet lacking in essential vitamins and minerals, insufficient sleep and stress can all contribute to the appearance of dark circles
- Irritation and allergies can cause swelling and darkening in the area under the eyes
- Prolonged exposure to the sun without protection can lead to damage to the skin under the eyes, including causing dark circles
- Eyewear: by exerting weight on the nose, they slow down circulation and cause stagnation of fluids. This is why people who wear glasses for many hours a day are more prone to dark circles under the eyes
- Eye fatigue: caused, for example, by the prolonged use of digital devices.
Understanding these causes can help identify the best treatments for a man’s dark circles in a more targeted manner.
In order to deal effectively with dark circles under the eyes in a man the first step (but this applies to any kind of blemish and to men and women alike) is to consult a doctor specialising in aesthetic medicine.
Only a thorough medical evaluation will be able to identify the specific causes and determine the most suitable treatment to remove bags under the eyes and dark circles in a man.
Another important aspect concerns the management of one’s lifestyle. As we have seen, bad habits play a significant role in the formation of dark circles.
Possible remedies against dark circles under the eyes in a man include:
- Specially formulated skin care products containing ingredients such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and retinol can improve skin elasticity and reduce hyperpigmentation. However, these solutions do not give immediate results and require continuous and constant application
- Laser treatments can be an option to improve skin pigmentation and stimulate collagen production in the eye area. However, due to the sensitivity of the periocular area, these treatments may have side effects and require several sessions
- Hyaluronic acid fillers: these are among the most effective treatments for treating dark circles in an immediate, long-lasting and safe manner
Thus, there are different types of approaches to the issue dark circles under the eyes in a man and, when choosing, the possible side effects, immediacy and duration of results must be assessed.
Often, dark circles under the eyes in a man appear together with puffiness.
Until a few years ago, in the case of very pronounced bags, the only solution was blepharoplasty surgery. It is a procedure that removes excess fat and skin from the eye area, significantly reducing the appearance of bags.
It goes without saying that, being part of the scope of cosmetic surgery, this is an extremely invasive procedure with the related risks. For this reason, people today prefer softer approaches, such as hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers.
The doctor specialising in aesthetic medicine injects hyaluronic acid in the form of a transparent jelly into the periorbital area using very fine needles. In this way, the filler reduces the concavity under the eyes and improves the volume of the area. It is a non-invasive procedure that offers immediate and long-lasting results (6 to 12 months depending on individual response and the quality of the filler used).
HA is a substance that is naturally present in the dermis; thus, the contraindications and risks of side effects of hyaluronic acid are very small indeed.
What makes the difference is exclusively the quality of the product used and the competence of the doctor performing the treatment.
We have seen the main causes of dark circles in men and the main solutions to correct them.
Since it is only the doctor specialising in aesthetic medicine who will suggest the most suitable approach on a case-by-case basis, among the best treatments for a man’s dark circles are hyaluronic acid fillers.
In fact, being a molecule already present in connective tissues and the dermis, HA is part of the so-called biological fillers, meaning re-absorbable over time by the body. And it is precisely this that makes them so well tolerated and almost free of side effects.
They also guarantee immediately visible, long-lasting and extremely natural results. The appearance of dark circles under the eyes in men will be visibly reduced leading to a younger and fresher appearance without looking artificial.
As we have stated, for safety reasons and to guarantee the final result and durability of the dark circles filler, it is essential to rely only on the best professionals in aesthetic medicine. Not only will they know how to administer the filler properly, but they will also be able to select the best hyaluronic acid filler to correct dark circles under the eyes in a man.